Monday, May 9, 2011
Demonstration for Clean & Affordable Water
Michigan is surrounded by 20 percent of the world's fresh surface water supply yet, residents and organizations continue to see water rate increases, water shutoffs in thousands of homes and billions of gallons of combined sewage overflows polluting the Rouge and Detroit Rivers. In response to these critical issues, the People's Water Board Coalition promotes and supports opportunities to collectively organize and work towards change and improvements to mitigate said and related concerns.
JOIN OUR RALLY!!!
Rally to let the Detroit Water and Sewerage Board of Commissioners know that we will not be denied our right to clean, affordable water.
DWSD Main Office
735 Randolph; Detroit, MI
Wednesday, May 25 from 1 to 2pm
Make and bring posters! See ideas for posters in the solutions we support below.
Solutions and improvements supported by The People’s Water Board include:
• Moratorium on water shut-offs
• Full implementation of the original Water Affordability Plan that Detroit City Council passed in 2005
• Televised Board of Water Commissioners Meetings
• Published meeting agendas and minutes on website (minutes need to include: number of shutoffs, pending shutoffs, volume of combined sewage overflow, water main breaks, contracts, illicit connections or illegal dumping occurrences that were found and penalized)
• City jobs not outsourcing those jobs to private companies
• Incentives for rate-payers to save water and use green infrastructure to absorb stormwater
• Demonstration projects that engage and educate the community on how to protect and save water (i.e. rain barrels, rain gardens, green roofs, community workshops, etc.)
• Monthly updates to be given at the Board of Water Commissioners meetings on the Federal Consent Judgment