Water is life. The People’s Water Board advocates for access, protection, and conservation of water. We believe water is a human right and all people should have access to clean and affordable water. Water is a commons that should be held in the public trust free of privatization. The People’s Water Board promotes awareness of the interconnectedness of all people and resources.
The Peoples Water Board holds its meeting the second Tuesday of the month at 5:30pm at the Cass Corridor Commons at 4605 Cass Ave. Enter off of Forest.
Saturday, October 18, 2014
The Peoples Recommendations submitted to the UN
1. We call on the State of Michigan and the U.S. government to respect the human right to water and sanitation.
2. We call on the city to restore services to households that have been cut off immediately.
3. We call on the city to abandon its plan for further cut-offs.
4. We call on the federal and state governments to work with the city
to ensure a sustainable public financing plan and rate structure that
would prevent a transfer of the utility’s financial burden onto
residents who are currently paying exorbitant rates for their water
5. We call for fair water rates for the residents of Detroit.
6. We call on the City of Detroit to implement the original water affordability program immediately.